Thursday 18 February 2010

Would you steal a car?

I can honestly say, I have never stolen a thing in my life.
I say this with a massive amount of pride, and I don't want to sound judgemental to those who have, but I just don't see what the point is.

I wasn't raised to be religious or anything like that, I was raised to have morals and to appreciate what you have. We didn't have a lot of money, and I grew up on a council estate in Walsall, not the nicest area in the world. I just learnt that if you didn't have something you saved for it, or went without. Simple as.

I don't think that it makes a difference where you steal from. Theft is theft. I appreciate that large companies have allowances for thefts in the stores, but I still don't agree with it. I've worked in supermarkets where theft has been ripe, and not only from the customers. One girl who I worked at Tescos with took thousands out of the till over the space of a few months. And when I worked at the co - op, well, where to begin. Lads would steal food, drink, anything they could get their hands on. One lad took £50 from the till to pay for his girlfriends abortion, which never happened. The best time was when an older lady, in her 50's was making it look like the customer had had cashback, and she was taking the money! And packets of fags, thats how she was caught eventually. Not after the managers had put a number of staff on till watch, including myself, because we had worked a massive amount of hours and had been on the tills in question. I never forgave them for accusing me of stealing that time, and they did it twice more before I walked out. People can call me what the hell they like, but they can NEVER call me a thief.

My step brothers are the biggest thieves in my family, and all I can say is thank god we're not properly related. Between the two of them, they have been in jail a total of 7 times, most of which for stealing related offences. Stephen once phoned my step dad asking how to get into a certain make of car, as his friend had locked his keys inside. Next thing my step dad knows, the police are banging on his door informing him that his eldest son has stolen a car. Splendid!
There are people who have made the argument that stealing from a person's home is different to stealing from a chain store. I don't agree.

As stated in the Theft Act 1968, the definition of theft is as follows...
(1) A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and thiefand steal shall be construed accordingly.(2) It is immaterial whether the appropriation is made with a view to gain, or is made for the thiefs own benefit.

Theft is theft!

I love the idea that American's have. If you commit a petty stealing offence, like these two women. You should be publicly named and shamed! I love it, I seriously think that it would deter people from doing it again. People just shoplift for the sake of it, because they can, and because they continuously get away with it. It pisses me off. They need naming and shaming and humiliation is the best thing I can think of. Sure, if you steal a car or something, you need a stronger punishment, but stealing make up, or sweets or something small. Why shouldn't they be humiliated as punishment!



Genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment