Wednesday 5 May 2010

One for the road

I'm not going to say that I'm a saint and have never binge drunk. I'll openly admit to it, and I could have chosen much worse pictures, but to save my dignity I didn't!

I work in Oceana every Tuesday night selling tickets for the Get Lost student night and last night, May 4th, was the bar crawl which ended in oceana. Me and my partner (who also sells with me) were seated at our little table a bit further along from the ladies where we usually are waiting for the students to arrive when suddenly, flooding up the stairs came herds of animals. Honestly, unless you've ever been sober and seen floods of students on a bar crawl you will not understand what it is like.

Two of my friends appeared in front of my little table and proceeded to tell me how much they love me etc. Ok cool, fair enough. Then one of them fell on the floor on her back. Naturally, I thought to myself there is no way I am picking her up, because she will pull me down onto the floor with her, so I'll leave her there.
Less than a minute later, my other friend decided that she was going to crouch over her, sit on top of her, and start grinding against her. Of course, in front of a big groups of lads who proceeded to woop them on. The girls then got up, went over to the group of lads and snogged each other.
Same girls, later on, running around with a couple of lads, all over them etc. When friend who fell on the floor and got grinded jumped onto one of the men and started simulating sex with him while kissing him. I would like to add at this point, that she has a long term boyfriend, and this kind of behaviour is a regular occurrence.

Now, later on in the night, I got up out of my seat to go and mingle, within a minute some drunk girl had sat herself there, next to my partner (who looked petrified by the way), with her t shirt completely ripped open and her bra on show for the world to see. She also looked as though she was going to vomit any minute so I quickly asked her to move (politely of course) so that I could get back to work.

I'm not going to sit here and say that I've never done stupid things when I've been drunk because I have, but I've at least always tried to have a bit of dignity. Knowing your limit is definitely a bonus, especially on things like bar crawls. I'm probably sounding like a kill joy, but to be honest, I don't care. If I ever act how I saw people behaving last night I'd rather never drink again. That's how disgusted I was.

Until I started university, I had never seen binge drinking on a level like I do now. I fully appreciate that there is a massive problem. The picture above was taken in Gorgeous nightclub in March/April time. On Thursday nights Gorgeous have a deal on. £7 in and all drinks cost 5p each. Yep, 5p each. I spent 40p in there and drank 8 bottles of carlsberg lager.

Considering that I have been thinking since September, that binge drinking is a major problem, I was surprised to find an article that actually states that the amount of people binge drinking has dropped!

This final picture is from my leaving party last week.

These are some of my favourite people ever.

And yes, alcohol was involved! Kelly, the one on the end fell over, but I think she's blaming the shoes rather than the alcohol!

No comments:

Post a Comment